Winter Wellness Warrior
Winter Wellness Warrior
Are you sick of being sick?
Disease causing viruses or bacteria can enter your body simply by breathing or eating! Fortunately, only a few of these, particularly viral, ‘pathogens’ result in a cold or flu because you are equipped with an immune system specifically designed to fight off unwanted invaders. That said, are you one of the many people, for whom a string of colds and flu is a way of life in winter? Perhaps getting rid of the seemingly endless sniffles, sneezing and sore throats seems like an unachievable ideal. Fortunately, it is possible to improve your immune system function and reduce the frequency and severity of those nasty winter lurgies with a bit of awareness and some simple strategies.
Prevention beats cure every time
If you are stressed out, unfit, run down and/or consuming a nutritionally poor diet, you are likely contributing to the demise of your immune systems defences and setting yourself up to succumb to one of the viruses floating around. Therefore, preparing your immune system to withstand this winter’s lurgies begins with a few simple foundational strategies:
• Reduce stress – being stressed reduces immune system function, so make sure you incorporate regular time-out, meditation and/or ‘green’ time, such as walking outdoors or playing with pets;
• Enjoy regular exercise - remaining active reduces the risk of contracting a cold by up to 46%;
• Sleep – aim for 7 to 8 hours each night to restore energy and increase resilience;
• Eat your vegies and fruits – at least three cups of fresh vegetables and/or salad, plus two serves of fresh fruit every day! Fill your plate with a rainbow of colour to ensure an abundance of essential nutrients and antioxidants that will help support healthy immune system cells; and
• Regularly wash your hands – simple soap and warm water helps reduce cross-contamination with unwell people.
Nevertheless, although being prepared is the best strategy – realistically it may be difficult to achieve everything you are ‘meant’ to do, which is where Noosa Natural Therapies can help. With access to natural medicines and the Stress Less, Wellness and Healthy Ageing Programs; creating an individualised prescription for your needs can make a lasting difference to your health and vitality.